Homes

The table below summaries the existing housing stock in 2018 and shows how new development will be distributed between the City, towns, key service centres, and village clusters of Greater Norwich.

AreaHomes 2018Homes 2038 (and increase)Increase %% of total housing growth
Norwich urban area 106,100 136,660 (+30,560)   29 69
The Main Towns 19,400 25,742 (+ 6,342)   33 14
The Key Service Centres 15,900 19,317 (+ 3,417) 21 8
Village clusters 46,100 50,124 (+ 4,024)   9 9
Total 187,500 231,843 (+ 44,343)   24  

The distribution of new housing between the Norwich urban area, towns, and villages is referred to as the settlement hierarchy. It is defined as: 

  1. The Norwich urban area which consists of Norwich and the built-up parts of the fringe parishes of Colney, Costessey, Cringleford, Drayton, Easton, Hellesdon, Old Catton, Sprowston, Taverham, Thorpe St. Andrew, Trowse and the remainder of the Growth Triangle.
  2. The main towns which are Aylsham, Diss (including part of Roydon), Long Stratton, Harleston and Wymondham.
  3. The key service centres which are Acle, Blofield, Brundall, Hethersett, Hingham, Loddon/Chedgrave, Poringland/Framingham Earl, Reepham and Wroxham.
  4. Village clusters which cover the remainder of the Greater Norwich Local Plan area.

Of the approximately 44,300 homes proposed in the area, land has already been earmarked for around 36,500 homes (82%) accounted for by schemes which have planning permission and development sites which are allocated in existing local plan documents. Therefore, sites for the remaining 18% -- approximately 6,640 additional homes are proposed through the GNLP. This figure excludes the sites in the South Norfolk village clusters which will be identified through a separate plan. .

Each year, the number of empty homes is counted. The exact number fluctuates annually, but over the last decade, it has tended to be approximately 1,000 long-term empty properties across Greater Norwich, or equal to about 0.05% of the total housing stock. Even if the number of empty homes were to be reduced further (which is an aim) this would barely alter the number of new additional homes needed.

More than 8m people in England – around 1 in 7 – are living in an unaffordable, insecure or unsuitable 

Unsuitable Housing
(source: National Housing Federation)

‘Hidden households’ includes:

  • People living in house shares or with friends who can't afford to move out
  • People living with their parents (mainly young adults unable to leave their parents' home, and couples with children who've moved back in with their parents for affordability reasons or after being made homeless)
  • People still living with an ex-partner, despite the relationship breaking down, because they can't afford to move out

Housing costs vs income - Broadland, Norwich and South Norfolk 2017/2018

  19972018
Broadland 4.1 9.2
Norwich 2.7 7
South Norfolk 3.8 8.8
Mean Average 3.53 8.3

 Housing Cost vs Income
(source: National Housing Federation)

Table showing Property price to earnings ratio

House Prices compared to Earnings
(source: National Housing Federation)

Graph showing household income versus income if it matched housing inflation